Friday, December 22, 2006

Pancha Ganapati Day 1




Yesterday was the first day of the Hindu midwinter celebration Pancha Ganapati. It is a five day festival that celebrates the god Ganesh in Pancha Muhka form (Basically that means 5 headed.)


Here is a lovely photo of our holiday shrine. Unfortunately both Ketu and A-chan were sick and not feeling up to much in the way of celebrating. A-chan helped decorate the shrine and had a good time carrying the grape fruit from the kitchen and putting them in place.


So far this year I haven't set a very good example for A-chan...the 'goal' for the day was to resolve family issues and resolve strife in the family to make the coming year a better time for the whole family. I think that I did pretty much the opposite today, getting into a small-ish fight with my mother over the holiday gathering and later on getting mad at Ketu. She definately seemed to notice that there was extra tension between my mother and I when she came over last night and I feel really guilty about that. Oh well, there is always next year to be a better role model?


At least she got a huge kick out of the Indian sweets that I made, particularly the Shagarpare (the diamonds in the picture) which is basically flattened out donuts and very yummy! The funny thing is that I think she will enjoy the grapefruit more than the sweets.

No comments: