Saturday, December 23, 2006

Pancha Ganapati Day 3



Some wonderful things happened today! A-chan succeeded in putting on her shoes all by herself for the first time. She also learned to climb up on her rocking unicorn all by herself after watching a friend do so. She'd never tried before cause I don't think she had any idea it was possible. We finally got to go see the Holiday Lights thingy at the park tonight. But the best part of all was having P, C and their girls come for a visit. We had a great time and A-chan did too! I tried another experimental recipe and it came out extremely yummy. I didn't really do anything for today's 'goal' as it was related to co-workers and professional relationships which don't apply in my case as a housewife and weaver. Although in some respects I suppose Ketu is a co-worker since he cleans all the catboxes and takes out the trash, all the icky stuff that I can't do. Hmmm. I made him a yummy dessert, does that count?

Another happening today was the cancellation of my family's holiday visit which I have mixed feelings about. I'm glad not to have them coming because A-chan and Ketu are still sick and she gets very upset and stressed around them. Warning: rant ahead. All the nice things that happened today were a very needed balm to the continued fighting between myself and my mother. She deliberately did something with A-chan today that I had specifically asked her not to do and given her reasons why I didn't want her to. Not only did she not respect my wishes but she tried to keep it a secret and then argued with me about it when I found out. And she wonders why we won't let her babysit?! When she won't even respect us enough to do as we ask about minor things, how can we trust her about larger things? My relationship with her was not exactly perfect before, but after I got pregnant it went downhill fast. It's like becoming a grandmother short circuited her brain or something. Another example: I mentioned on the phone last night that A-chan hadn't been eating well because she was sick, that she was only interested in eating raisins. This morning my mother had gone to the grocery store to buy citrus fruit that she knew A-chan liked to help her get well. I thought it a nice gesture and so agreed to let her drop it by. What confounded us was that she didn't just drop by, she stayed for over 2 hours! Didn't ask, just came in and took over. And then the incident I alluded to earlier happened. I got angry but was still civil. Ketu applauded my self-restraint.




The questions in my mind: Have any others had their mothers go bonkers when they became grandmothers? Am I just being too sensitive and should let it all go? Is it better to try and work things out or ignore things that make me mad...or is it more harmful to A-chan to continue the relationship without at least trying to stand my ground on important issues?

No comments: