Wednesday, July 4, 2007

Potty Progress!

W00t! 3 successful potty attempts in one day!! We're definately beginning to make some progress, yahoo :D There are two keys to our recent success, I think. First, I'm making a point to ask her to go potty a lot more than I used to. Basically I ask after every meal and whenever I think about it other times. Second, I leave the bathroom. It's like magic. I leave the room and about 5 minutes later she uses the potty. Tonight I asked if she wanted me to stay or to leave. "You can go if you want to. And I'll call you." was the response.

My mother brought up an interesting question the other day. She wanted to buy a potty for A-chan to have at her house, just like the one that we have here. I wondered if that wouldn't give A-chan unreasonable expectations, that she would start asking specifically for 'her' potty everywhere we went instead of getting used to different potties at different places. And if that were the case, but in her best interest to have a potty everywhere we go that is just for her, should we get a portable one that we could take anywhere?

I personally would prefer that she get used to all kinds of potties in all kinds of situations. For example, carrying a portable potty around with us at a convention isn't really an option. And I'm pretty sure that airlines wouldn't let us take it on a plane. I guess I see it just like restaurants. We try very hard to make sure that A-chan is exposed to a large variety of foods and flavors so that we can go to just about any restaurant and she will eat happily. Shouldn't it be the same way with the potty?

No comments: