Saturday, June 6, 2009

A Full Day

Today we went hiking at the Botanical Gardens. We did the Orange trail because A-chan wanted to see the river. It was a lot of fun. We saw dragonflies, a beautiful lizard, two turtles, some tiny frogs, butterflies, faeries and some birds. Her stamina has definately improved, she didn't ask me to carry her at all. We both loved being in the forest. Afterwards we went and got smoothies for lunch!

Next there was the matter of her allowance to sort through. She used the Coinstar machine to count some of the change from her Totoro coin bank and got almost $10! When we went to the toy store to buy replacement sand (her sandbox had gotten flooded last month and just recently got cleaned out thanks to some wonderful friends) she chose some princess mega blocks to purchase with her allowance. We also replaced her doctor kit which has been missing for a very long time. This time she chose the pink one instead of the blue one.

We also went to the library and signed her up for the Summer Reading Program. She has her very own library card to check out her books with. Today we left with 14. I think she might have been more excited about the reading program than about the new toys.

She's been having trouble going to sleep lately. Typical childhood nightime fears, but I'm not sure how best to counter them. I'm trying but I don't think I'm doing a good enough job. For a while she's been doing the stalling method of coming up with ways to go to bed later and later. But tonight was the first time she actually tried to take books to bed with her and read instead of going to sleep. I feel a little guilty stopping her from it. I mean, reading is great! And I used to read in bed all the time when I was a kid. But I also know that she'll be incredibly grumpy tomorrow if she doesn't go to sleep in time cause no matter how late she falls asleep, she gets up at the same time every morning.

No comments: