Monday, January 29, 2007

The Negative World



My family are the most negative people you can imagine. You cannot say anything that they will respond to in a positive way. I want so much to protect A-chan from them and the cloud that they voluntarily carry over their heads. I don't want her to be forced to look at the world the way that they do, and I'd prefer that she never even get a glimpse of that world. To give examples of what I mean...

My aunt: "I wish people wouldn't use splenda, it messes up your brain. Everybody is hooked on splenda and it makes me so sad." (this was her response to my description of a good diabetic casserole recipe that happened to have splenda in it)

My grandmother: (in response to a supposed-to-be-heartwarming-story about the deer and fawn that lived in our front forest this summer) "I wish your windows were higher up. Deer crash through people's windows and attack them, you know."

My mother: (entertaining my uncle and grandfather by pointing out all of the stuff wrong with our house) "See, all they have to do to fix this spot is cut off this bit of wall, but they just won't do it."

My uncle: "We'd better leave now so that M doesn't die driving over the mountains tonight."




It's scary to realize just how negative they are and know that no matter what I say they will not like it. I feel like I just can't win. Is it wrong for me to not want A-chan exposed much to these people and their negativity?

No comments: