Tuesday, May 29, 2007

Star Wars Anniversary

We didn't really do much to celebrate. A-chan wore her star wars lego t-shirt with r2 and 3po. Here is a picture of her going, "this one is R2. why are you asking stupid questions, guys?"
After dinner we started watching Empire Strikes Back, A-chan's choice, the original one not the newfangled one. It has taken us 3 days to finish watching it since we're going at A-chan's speed which is 45 mins and then bedtime. I was kind of hoping for an excuse to get one of those nifty cake pans of R2 or Boba Fett...maybe I'll do one for my birthday and then the other for A-chan's. :D


Looking back on Star Wars in my childhood...

I don't remember the first time that I saw it. I was 2 years old when it was in the theater, so I'm pretty sure it was later.


I do remember desperately wanting some of the star wars toys that the boys down the street were playing with. At one friend's b-day party I spent the entire afternoon playing with his Hoth playset rather than going outside for games and fun, lol. At the time I was 5, I think, or maybe 6 and was already well acquainted with Star Wars.


My mother could not have been called a huge Star Wars fan, but she did foster a love of sci-fi and fantasy movies for me when she had the chance. The tv version of star wars was taped by her for me to watch endlessly over and over. I still know exactly where the commercial breaks were when we watch the dvds. That is one of the greatest things that I am grateful to my mother for - she let me fall in love with Star Wars. Since no one else in my life was remotely interested in it I feel sure that she introduced me to it, even though I was too young to remember the exact moment. How much different would I be now if she hadn't done so?


Will A-chan continue to love Star Wars when she gets older? I hope so. But even if she doesn't, at least we're enjoying it together right now as much as we possibly can. For the ability to share this with my daughter, I am immensely grateful.

No comments: